Saturday, February 3, 2007

Pick-up VS. Truck


The never-ending debate! Is it a truck or a pick-up? I have noticed that a lot of people are confused with the difference between a pick-up and a truck. Well, I am going to set y'all straight tonight. A truck has 18 wheels and a pick-up has four!! There is nothing more frusterating than people using the wrong word when speaking of a pick-up. This all comes about because my car has been in the shop the last few days and the sales guy at the Ford dealership gave me a very nice pick-up to drive until my car is done. I don't know how many people have stopped me and said, "Nice truck." I really want to be stubborn and look around the parking lot and say "I don't see a big truck, all I see is a pick-up!" But I don't, I just say thanks and go about my business. I really don't understand how hard it can be to get them right. Anyway, enough about that. I have absolutely loved driving this pick-up. They way it sits up higher than my car, I feel I have more controll on the road and the only thing that would make it perfect was if it were a diesel. God made me a pick-up girl. I just know it!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I am one of those truck people!
I don't know why, but I have always called all my pick-ups, trucks. I have had a little two wheel drive Toyota, and a Dodge quad cab disel dually, and they were both "trucks". Maybe it is an Idaho thing. I too thank God for making me a pick-up girl! I would rather drive a truck than anything else, and I don't mean and 18 wheeler!

Anonymous said...

I liked this post so much that I shared it with my husband...he said that you are wrong about your definition as well! He said that a truck has 10 wheels, the other eight come from the trailer! Count the wheels on your picture! I guess everyone has their own ideas on this one!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to break this to ya, but...a "pick-up" is a light truck having an enclosed cab and an open body with low sides and tailgate. Haha. A "truck" is bigger and carries heavy loads of fright, trailers, etc. It clearly states this in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary...Muh haha! A "pick-up" is a smaller version of a truck...oh, I believe another name for it is a "pick-up TRUCK". OH, what now!?! That's one point for Ash!

Alaskagirl said...

I appreciate the above comments, and for Kenny pointing out that the picture of the Peterbilt didn't have a trailer and so that it only has 10 wheels. I am still making the argument that a Dodge, Chevy and Ford and other car/pick-up dealerships are all still just pick-ups. I don't care what the dictionary says. The person who wrote that definiton was probablly a city boy!!

Angela said...

Yes, I call it a truck as well. I was one of those that said, "Nice truck." I think of a pick-up as something smaller, maybe not as capable as a truck. If the tires are bigger than standard, if it requires that I have to grab on to the "Oh S Handle" to pull my self up, it is a TRUCK to me for sure no matter how many tires are attatched. ;)

Anonymous said...

Happy Trails said:You go girl you know the difference between a pick-up and a truck.I don't care what the dictionary say,s.The kind of weight that we haul would crush a pick-up.They are just wana be's.

Anonymous said...

Haha...and who ever wrote the dictionary knows how to spell "probablly" P.R.O.B.A.B.L.Y
;-D

HOOKM14 said...

How about we let those who actually own a pickup/truck call it what they want. Be carefull or I might just back my TRUCK over your rice patty eater..LOL