Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Real Live Cowboy...?

In my classroom I have parent volunteers, whom I love by the way, and one of "my dads" walked in on Monday morning and said that his daughter came home on Friday and said that there had been a "real live" cowboy in school. We had a little chuckle over her choice of words, but it got me thinking, what makes a cowboy real? I come from a family of real live cowboys, so to me it is someone who can ride, rope, work cattle, brand, fix their own machinery with
duct tape and bailing twine and do their own doctorin' of animals. But I believe that some people think that if one wears wranglers, boots and a hat then they must be a cowboy. That is not so (in my book). There is nothing more irritating than someone wearing skintight Wal-Mart Wranglers, plastic pointed-toe boots and some cheap drug store hat. I believe that it is a hard earned right to be called a cowboy. The life of a cowboy is not an easy one and I know that from personal experience and family history. So, I say "hats off" to those who have earned the right to be called a Real Live Cowboy!
Have a great night all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ain't nuthin' like a nice cowboy Wrangler butt! K/1

Angela said...

YOU GO COWGIRL!! Not too many "real live" cowboys anymore, a dying breed for sure. I did see a bunch in Thayne, Wyoming. What a great blog. 'Nite Y'All- see ya in the mornin. :)

Michelle Johnson said...

Being born and raised in Nebraska, I know what a real cowboy is too. Whanabe cowboys can be pretty irritating! Great blog! :) I'm glad you got to see your real life cowboy!

HOOKM14 said...

ok, ok, so I ain't no REAL cowboy, point taken. But i still look TIGHT in my Palm COWBOY Hat. And oh ya, you still owe me coffee!

BTW, they don't make wranglers for the junk i got in my trunk sister.