Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The {f}PHAT Friend.


The past few months I've been struggling with my body image. I know that at some time or another every female deals with these sort of "issues". Throughout last spring and then into the summer it seemed that everyone I was hanging out with was much smaller and skinnier then me and I felt like the "fat" friend. I started my summer trying to "diet" which just doesn't work for me...I even tried some diet pills. Not smart. Anyway as the summer progressed and as I ran more, I was able to drop a few pounds. I say all that to say this, I listened to a Beth Moore program that I borrowed from a friend and the subject was on the struggle of body image and trying to fit the image that the world wants us to keep or be.What a wrong way to think and in actuality we are in bondage to the world when we get caught up in that thought process.
When I find myself falling into that train of thought, I remind myself that I am beautifully and wonderfully made in the image of Christ. Psalm 45:11 says that the King is enthralled by your beauty. My desire is not to be in bondage to the world, but to know and keep in my heart and mind the way the Lord sees me and be satisfied in Him and by Him.

6 comments:

CityGirl said...

Very funny cartoon! And very very good reminder. Since having 3 kids I've continued to struggle with the image thing as well. But, I've been able to overcome it a lot by some of the same thoughts/lessons you've had. When I'm so concerned about HOW I look rather than BEING pleasing to Him it certainly takes my focus off of Him and onto myself. I also remind myself that everyone is made differently. I know you've probably heard it a million times, Amanda, but you do look great. But more importantly is that you are beautiful inside! That's what makes you even more beautiful! :) Love ya!

CityGirl said...

PS. Glad you've blogged again! Brother...WHO in the world are you being so distracted with!!!! Ha ha ha!!! (can't wait to meet 'him') :)

7harts01 said...

Thank you for the reminder Amanda! I always need to recheck my thinking about my thinking! My body is His beautiful temple and I need to treat it with the respect and care that He entrusted me to treat it with. Another verse that has helped me when it comes to my thoughts, is 11 Cor. 10:5, "casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts it self against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ." You are beautiful inside and out and I have loved getting to know you and becoming friends with you! Thank you for your encouragement and friendship!

Swiss at Heart said...

Wow, you are one of the most beautiful people I know, inside and out, and it just amazes me that someone like you would have that kind of struggle. I guess it just proves the point that it affects all of us women in one way or another. You are strong, and beautiful, and you know what the right way is.

Angela said...

I think that it is only like 5% or less, that fit into society's beautiful body image. You are right and it is a great reminder that we are not meant to feel "bad" about our bodies, but blessed.
For those of us that are healthy, have all of our parts in working order, can run, jump, play with our children, climb, bike, lift; we are blessed to have these beautiful bodies that God has given us. How sad it is that so many people feel the need to fit societies "norm", based on touched up magazine covers and advertising, when it is NOT the norm. I need to loose weight because it is hard on my body, but I will never be that "perfect" size. Healthy is what God asks of us, not perfect. Imagine how it makes Him feel when we say, "Oh, I hate the way my body looks." Yes Amanda, thank you for that reminder and by the way, YOU DO LOOK AMAZING!! you go girlfriend :)

A.B said...

This is one of the things that bothers me in the world we live in. The image that the media portrays. It's ridiculous. People wonder why health problems arise: Anorexia, etc.
keep on doing what you are doing. Staying in shape the correct way. Besides, it's inner beauty that counts and you easily radiate that beauty.