Wednesday, June 13, 2007

tug at the heart...

Type 6 engine (6 pack)

(2005 fire)
This morning as I was finishing up my run, I passed or should I say, a line of state, USFS and NPS type 6 engines passed me. As most of you know, I have been fighting fires for the past 5 years in the summer, but this year I am not due to moving. Anyway, it was a strange feeling seeing them go by. I don't think they were going to a fire because no one was running hot, so I'm sure they were off to an interagency training.

As I passed one engine, I could see everyone talking and laughing. It made me think of all the great memories I have. Being a firefighter is very much like being part of a family. We work day in and day out with each other as well as live together. We build trust, confidence and teamwork. We are sounding boards for each other, counselors, supporters, bestfriends and somedays worst enemies. We know for sure though, that we will stand together as a team, a family in the worst situations...life and death situations. I know because of that, I will truly miss my "family" this summer. I am gone from them, but I have and will not forget them.

3 comments:

Barry Hughes said...

What's the temp. there in Yellowstone? I've never been.

Candace Sweigart said...

Firefighting sounds like an amazing experience! I love hearing about your memories.

C

Michelle Johnson said...

Maybe next summer you'll be able to fight fires again. Guess who I'm taking a class with? Paulie and Christy! We're taking Advance Excel. Boring, but hey, it's a credit! :)

How's the running going? Do you think you'll be ready for your race?